Barley Salad with Tomatoes, Green Olives and Basil
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan
- 1½ cups barley or farro
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ of an English cucumber, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup green olives, such as Castelvetrano
- ½ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn if large
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fill a medium saucepan with water 1 inch from the top. Place over medium-high heat and let come to a boil. Add the barley cook according to the package directions and drain into a strainer. Pass under cold running water to cool. Shake out excess water.
To a large bowl add the tomatoes and cucumber. Smash the olives with the side of your knife to release the pit. Add the olive pieces to the bowl. Or, if you have pitted olives, cut them in half. Add the onion, basil, and barley.
Add the lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill). Stir well to combine.
This recipe was printed from: