Teriyaki Chicken (with carrot puree)
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves Serves 4
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 2 scallions, cut into thirds
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup carrot puree
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (6 to 8 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 350°F.
Peel the clove of garlic and cut it in half. Cut the scallions into thirds. Slice the ginger (no need to peel). Add them to a small saucepan along with the soy sauce, puree, sugar, and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, then cook until the mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the garlic, onions, and ginger.
Season both sides of the chicken with the paprika then the pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill). Rub in.
Place a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until it shimmers (1 to 2 minutes). Add the chicken and cook until both sides are golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Off the heat, carefully pour in the teriyaki sauce. Slide the skillet into the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe was printed from: