Spinach with Caramelized Chickpeas & Onions, Yogurt & Za’atar
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika, plus more for serving
- 16 cups (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- Pinch of za’atar or dried oregano, for serving
- ½ of a lemon
Pour the chickpeas onto a paper towel-lined sheet pan and pat dry.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion and chickpeas are golden brown. Stir in the garlic, cumin, and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes, until toasted and fragrant.
Stir in half of the spinach and cover for 1 minute to wilt. Stir in the remaining spinach and cover for another minute to wilt. Remove the lid and cook, stirring, until the spinach is completely wilted. Taste for salt, you may want to add a little more.
Spoon the spinach and chickpeas onto a serving plate or platter. Dollop the yogurt over the top and sprinkle with za’atar and a little more paprika. Squeeze lemon over everything.
This recipe was printed from: