Freaky Greek Pasta
Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Watch Video
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound penne
- 1 large bunch broccoli (or a 1-pound bag frozen broccoli florets)
- 8 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fill a large pot with water 2 inches from the top. Place on the stove over high heat and let come to a boil; add 2 teaspoons of the salt. Meanwhile, cut the broccoli (if using fresh) into florets (you should get about 5 cups).
When the water boils, cook the pasta 3 minutes less than the package directions call for, then add the broccoli (fresh or frozen) to the pot and cook 3 minutes more, until the broccoli is tender and the pasta is al dente.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the Feta, lemon zest, oregano, red pepper and black pepper (12 turns on pepper mill.)
Place the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
When the pasta and broccoli are done cooking, drain them, immediately add to the large bowl, and toss. Drizzle with oil, add the toasted almonds, and toss again. Salt to taste.
This recipe was printed from: