Veggie Burgers with Pickled Cucumber and Onion
Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- For the pickled cucumber and onion:
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ of a red onion, very thinly sliced into rings
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- For the burgers:
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked (and cooled) quinoa
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 whole-grain buns (optional)
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
For the pickled cucumber and onion, in a medium bowl, sprinkle the cucumber with the salt and toss. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until the cucumber releases water. Squeeze out the water from the cucumber and discard any that has collected in the bowl. Add the red onion, vinegar, and sugar and toss. Set aside.
For the burgers, in a food processor, combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Pulse several times until finely chopped. Add the quinoa, kale, carrots, sunflower seeds, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Pulse a few times until the mixture is finely chopped and everything is evenly distributed and holds together, but isn’t completely smooth.
Divide the mixture into 4 even portions, then shape into 1⁄2-inch-thick patties.
In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Be gentle when you flip as they are delicate.
Build your burgers with the buns (optional), patties, lettuce, and pickled cucumber and onion.
This recipe was printed from: