Slow Braised Brisket
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Gluten Free
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 8 medium carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 pound baby yellow potatoes
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 1/2 pounds beef brisket
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (1 tsp. + 1/2 tsp.)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1/2 tsp. + 1/4 tsp.)
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, beer or water
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Heat oven to 300°F (with the oven rack in the middle). Take out a 9 by 13-inch roasting pan.
Trim the stem end off of each onion, cut in half from stem to root end, and peel. Then, thinly slice each half into half moons; discard the root. Scatter over the bottom the pan. Peel the carrots and trim the ends. Cut in half crosswise then cut in half lengthwise. Scatter over the onions. Scrub the potatoes and add to the pan along with the dates.
Season each side of the brisket with ½ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill each side). Place the brisket, fat-side up, over the vegetables.
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire, wine, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Pour over the brisket and vegetables. Seal the pan tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Roast until the brisket and vegetables are fork tender, about 3 1/2 hours.
Chop the parsley.
Thinly slice the brisket and serve with the carrots, potatoes, onions, and sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe was printed from: