Crispy Tofu and Ginger Spinach with Chili Crisp
Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 14-ounce package firm or extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for frying
- 1½ tablespoons grated peeled ginger
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 12 cups)
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ cup cornstarch, for dredging
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Chili Crisp, for serving (We love Blank Slate Kitchen Sichuan Chili Oil and Mr. Bing Chili Crisp)
Slice the tofu into ½-inch thick squares. Place them between several paper towels to soak up extra liquid.
For the spinach, in a large pot, heat the 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Stir in the ginger and let it cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the spinach and salt. Cover tightly with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Remove the lid and cook for about 1 minute, stirring, until the spinach is evenly cooked. Taste for salt; you may want to add a little more.
For the tofu, spread the cornstarch on a plate. Dredge the tofu pieces in the cornstarch so all the sides are lightly coated.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat about ⅛ inch of oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu pieces and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Divide the spinach and tofu among plates. Sprinkle the scallions and drizzle everything with the chili crisp.
This recipe was printed from: