The Best Corn Fritters
Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves About 20
- ½ of a medium yellow onion
- 2 scallions (white and light green part)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 3 cups fresh corn (from about 4 ears)
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⅛ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Oil for frying, such as sunflower, grapeseed, or olive
Cut the onion half and scallions into large pieces.
Put the onion, scallions, and cilantro in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the corn and eggs. Pulse to combine, leaving most of the corn in tact (you don’t want the batter smooth).
Transfer the batter to a medium bowl. Add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and stir to combine.
In a medium skillet, heat about ¼ inch of oil over medium heat.
Slide a spoonful at a time of the batter into the skillet, spacing 1 inch apart. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. (Cook as many as you like – the batter will last in the refrigerator for 2 days). Serve hot.
*Serve plain or topped with just about anything - avocado, smoked salmon, crème fraîche, or a poached egg. These are also the perfect accompaniment to a salad.
This recipe was printed from: