Simple Lentil Soup
Active Time: 25 | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more if necessary
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into a small dice
- 2 medium carrots, cut into a small dice
- 2 ribs celery, cut into a small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1¼ cups black or French green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh dill, for serving
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon of the salt and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes more.
Add the lentils, bay leaf, and 5 cups of water. Let come to boil then add the pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Reduce the heat to a medium-low so the soup is at a gentle simmer. Partially cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are very tender (it might take longer if the lentils are old). Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Taste for salt.
Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream (if desired) and chopped dill.
This recipe was printed from: