Romaine Salad with Candied Walnuts
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 4 | Gluten Free
- For the candied walnuts:
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups walnuts
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 3 small heads hearts of romaine lettuce
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 300°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
For the walnuts, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white until white and foamy. Whisk in the honey, brown sugar, salt, and cayenne. Add the walnuts and stir to coat well in the egg mixture. Spread the walnuts in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake, stirring once about half way through, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crisp (they’ll be a little sticky but will crisp up as they cool). While still warm, transfer the walnuts to a plate so they don’t stick to the paper. Let cool completely.
For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the oil. Now whisk in the Parmesan.
Separate the romaine leaves and put them into a large bowl. Drizzle in the vinaigrette and toss well. Divide the leaves among plates. Top with some walnuts, Parmesan, and pepper.
*Store any extra candied walnuts in an airtight container.
This recipe was printed from: