Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Serves 2 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- ½ cup brown rice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sour cream, Greek yogurt, or coconut yogurt (optional)
- 3 medium Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free, less sodium tamarin or less-sodium soy sauce (not gluten-free
- 1 bunch spinach (about 6 cups)
In a small saucepan, combine the rice with ¾ cup of water and ⅛ teaspoon of the salt. Put over medium-high heat and let come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly, and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork, and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Thinly slice the scallions. Stir the scallions and sour cream into the rice.
Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Trim the stems. Slice the caps into ¼-inch thick slices.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and let cook, untouched, for 2 minutes. Stir and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Stir in the tamari. Add the spinach, cover tightly, and let wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Now stir to combine the spinach and mushrooms. Season with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt.
Divide the rice among bowls and top with the mushrooms and spinach.
This recipe was printed from: