Chickpea Pancakes (Cecina) with Avocado Salad
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1 cup chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 1¼ cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 smallish cucumber, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a blender, combine the chickpea flour, water, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Blend for about 30 seconds, or until smooth. Let stand for 30 minutes (it will thicken as it sits). Give it one more whirl just before using.
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeño, avocados, mint, lemon juice, pepper, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Gently stir to combine.
Heat a 10 or 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until it’s nice and hot. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil (or enough to thinly coat the bottom of the skillet). Scoop about 1/3 cup of the chickpea batter into the skillet and quickly swirl the skillet to make a thin pancake. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until the underside is golden brown, flip and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate and fold into quarters. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter.
Serve each pancake with the avocado salad.
This recipe was printed from: