Stewy Shrimp with Tomatoes and White Beans
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Watch Video
- 4 slices French or whole-wheat bread
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine, such as pinot grigio
- 1½ pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp (thawed, if frozen)
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups wild arugula
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- to taste kosher salt
Heat the broiler with the oven rack 4 inches from the top. Drizzle the bread (both sides) with 2 tablespoons of the oil and place on a sheet pan. Broil 1 to 2 minutes per side until toasted.
Drain the tomatoes and reserve the juice for another use. Prepare and measure your ingredients before you start to cook.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (do not let it brown), about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the shrimp and cook, turning occasionally, until opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, arugula, red pepper and black pepper (6 turns on pepper mill) and cook, stirring, until the beans are heated through and the arugula is wilted. Season to taste with salt. Serve with the toasted bread.
This recipe was printed from: