Whoopie Pies (with spinach puree)
Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Serves Makes 16 pies
- For the Cakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup spinach puree
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, spooned and leveled
- 2 cups marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Heat the oven to 350°F. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Separate the eggs (save the yolks for another use).
In a large bowl or standing mixer, beat the oil and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until well combined. Add the egg whites and mix on low until well blended. Blend in the spinach puree and vanilla.
Alternately add in the flour mixture and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, mixing until smooth and just combined.
Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. Place tablespoonfuls of batter about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake until the cakes are cooked through and spring back to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the filling: with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, confectioners’ sugar, marshmallow cream, and vanilla until smooth, about 3 minutes. Spread a rounded tablespoonful of filling on the flat sides of half of the cakes and top with the remaining cakes.
This recipe was printed from: