Lentil and Tomato Stew
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves 4 to 6 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- For the stew
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15-ounce can diced or cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup unsweetened canned coconut milk, shaken well
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cups water, plus more if necessary
- 1 cup dried red, yellow, or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 10 ounces), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- For the lime yogurt
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (or, for vegan, coconut yogurt. We like Cocojune.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch kosher salt
- Cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, for serving
To make the stew, chop the onion and garlic. Grate the ginger. Place the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, tomatoes, and coconut milk near the stove.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often, until very tender and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes until very fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Put the lentils in a fine mesh strainer and rinse. Peel the eggplant and cut into ½-inch pieces. Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½-inch pieces. Add the lentils, eggplant, and sweet potato to the pot. Stir to combine. Cover partially with a lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. You may want to add a little more water if the stew is too thick. Taste for salt; you may want to add a little more.
For the cumin yogurt, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice, water, cumin, and salt and stir together. Serve the stew topped with a spoonful of the lime yogurt, cilantro sprigs, and squeeze of lime. Or you are making this vegan, spoon on a dollop of coconut yogurt, then top with the cilantro and lime.
This recipe was printed from: