Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan
- For the croutons:
- 3 cups ¾-inch bread cubes (we used a whole-wheat rustic loaf)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Small pinch kosher salt
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the salad:
- 12 cups torn kale or chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 375°F.
For the croutons, in a medium bowl, toss the bread cubes with the oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Spread on rimmed sheet pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool.
For the vinaigrette, using a Microplane or fine grater, grate the garlic into a small bowl. Add the mustard, lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and oil and whisk together.
For the salad, tear the kale leaves (or chop the romaine) into bite-size pieces, rinse, and spin dry. Put into a large serving bowl. Cut the avocado into ½-inch pieces and add to the salad. Drizzle on the vinaigrette and toss well.
Divide among bowls and top with the croutons and Parmesan.
This recipe was printed from: