Roasted Spiced Eggplant with Arugula Salad
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for serving
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium eggplants (12 to 16 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 cups wild arugula
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 400°F.
Finely chop the garlic.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and oil.
Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Score the flesh in a crosshatch pattern without cutting through the skin. Dividing evenly, spread the oil mixture evenly over the flesh of the eggplant.
Place the eggplant cut side up on a sheet pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until very tender.
In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Divide the eggplant and arugula among plates. Drizzle the arugula with some oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Scatter the pine nuts over the salad. Squeeze lemon over the salad and eggplant.
This recipe was printed from: