Kung Pao Cauliflower Lettuce Cups
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Serves 2 to 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- For the cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons less-sodium, gluten-free tamari or less-sodium soy sauce (not gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- For the assembly:
- 1 head Boston or butter lettuce, leaves separated
- ½ of a hothouse cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup roasted cashews, chopped
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 425°F.
Cut the cauliflower into small florets and put on a large rimmed sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Use your hands to toss then spread into a single layer. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.
In a small bowl, combine the tamari, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce, sesame oil, ginger, brown sugar, water, and cornstarch.
Once the cauliflower has finished roasting, heat the tamari mixture over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and stir to coat.
To assemble, spread the lettuce leaves on your work surface. Layer each leaf with several slices of the cucumbers. Fill with the cauliflower mixture. Top with the scallions and cashews.
This recipe was printed from: