Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, cut into sticks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 14.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
First peel and slice your onion into half moons. Then peel and cut your carrots into 3-inch long sticks.
Place a large pot on the stove and turn the heat on to medium. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon. Let cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, water, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let it come to a boil then lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer (low-boil) until the carrots are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
While it simmers, wash and dry the parsley then chop it. Stir it into the stew and serve over couscous, crusty bread, or on it’s own.
This recipe was printed from: