Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Gluten Free
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (about 12 sprigs)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
Chop the garlic. Pull the thyme leaves from their sprigs then chop. Add both to a large baking dish along with the lemon juice, oil, salt, red pepper, and black pepper (about 24 turns on pepper mill). Combine.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Using kitchen shears, cut the back bone out of the chicken. You can use a paper towel to help you get a good grip. Then, turn the chicken over and press it flat. Put the chicken into the dish and smother it with the marinade. Let marinate (in the refrigerator) for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
Heat the grill to medium-low. Place the chicken skin-side down on the grill, close the cover of the grill, and cook low and slow until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes per side (you can cut into it to make sure it’s done). Be sure to check it often to make sure there are no flare ups. Transfer to a cutting board and carve.
This recipe was printed from: