Chickpea and Spinach Pancakes
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves 12 pancakes | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1¼ cup chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for cooking the pancakes
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt, for serving (optional)
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced, for serving
- Za’atar spice blend, for serving (optional)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cumin, and salt. Whisk in the water and 1 tablespoon of the oil.
Finely chop the spinach and thinly slice the scallions and whisk into the batter.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s nice and hot, reduce the heat to medium. For each batch of pancakes, add 2 teaspoons of oil and swirl the skillet to coat the bottom. Scoop the batter (using about 2 tablespoons per pancake) into the skillet, spacing the pancakes 2 inches apart. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown and the batter in the center is just about set. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 1 minute more.
Serve the pancakes topped with a small dollop of the yogurt (optional) and the sliced cucumber. Sprinkle on a little za’atar (if using) and some more scallions.
This recipe was printed from: