Skillet-Roasted Potatoes and Chicken
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Gluten Free
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (about 2 sprigs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (1 tsp. + 1/2 tsp.)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1/4 tsp. + 1/2 tsp.)
- 4 small bone-in, skin-onchicken thighs (about1 1/4 lbs. total)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 lb. total)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the low position) to 425°F.
Thinly slice the onion and scatter over the bottom of a large ovenproof skillet; add the water. Wash the potatoes (no need to peel) and slice them into about ¼-inch-thick rounds. Lay them over the onions, overlapping as necessary. Drizzle with the oil.
Wash and dry the rosemary sprigs, then pull the leaves from their sprigs and sprinkle over the potatoes, along with 1 teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper (about 12 turns on a pepper mill).
Wash the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the coriander and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper (about 24 turns on a pepper mill). Using your fingers, rub the spices into both sides of the chicken. Lay the chicken, skin side up, over the potatoes.
Roast until the chicken is cooked through (you can cut into a piece to make sure it’s no longer pink) and the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 1 hour.
This recipe was printed from: