Lentils with Tomato and Thyme
Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1 cup green (French) lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (about 2 sprigs)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Fill a medium saucepan with water about 1 inch from the top and bring to a boil. Rinse the lentils, discarding any stray pebble that may have slipped through. Add the lentils to the boiling water and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes; drain.
Meanwhile, chop the onion, dice the tomatoes, and pull the thyme leaves from their sprigs.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, thyme, and salt and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes break down, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lentils, parsley, pepper (12 turns on pepper mill) and vinegar. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold.
This recipe was printed from: