From Double Delicious
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon butter (Or, for vegan, plant-based butter; we like Miyoko's Creamery)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (Or, for vegan, plant-based milk, such as cashew)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (Or, for vegan, plant-based cheddar cheese; we like Violife)
- 1/2 cup butternut squash or carrot puree
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Breadcrumb topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets. Add to the boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes so they just begin to get tender but are still firm. Drain in a colander and set aside.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk to prevent lumps from forming, and bring to a boil. The mixture will begin to thicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheddar, butternut squash or carrot puree, salt, and pepper.
Add the cauliflower to the cheese mixture and stir to coat. Pour into an 8-inch baking dish.
If making the breadcrumb topping, in a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, oil, and nutritional yeast. Stir together until the breadcrumbs are well coated. Sprinkle over the cauliflower. Bake for 15 minutes until the gratin is bubbly and the topping begins to brown.
This recipe was printed from: