Sizzling Beef, Cool Salad
Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes | Serves 4 | Gluten Free
- For the beef:
- ⅓ cup less sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1½ tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¼ pounds flank steak
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ to 1 small, mild red chili pepper, such as Fresno
- For the salad:
- 1 hothouse or regular cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
For the beef, in a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil, the ginger, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch.
Cut the flank steak in half lengthwise (with the grain). Then thinly slice each half crosswise (against the grain). Put the steak in the marinade and stir to coat. Let marinate (in the refrigerator) for at least 20 minutes or overnight, if you have the time.
For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, peanut oil, brown sugar, and salt. Slice the chili in half and remove the seeds. Then thinly slice each half crosswise. Add to the vinaigrette.
For the salad, in a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, carrots, scallions, cilantro, and mint. Add the vinaigrette and toss.
In a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil over medium-high heat. Cooking in two batches, add half of the steak to the skillet and cook, flipping half way through, 2 to 3 minutes, until the edges crisp up.
Dividing evenly, serve the steak over the rice, if using. Top with the salad.
This recipe was printed from: