Brownies (with Carrot and Spinach)
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 55 minutes | Serves 12 brownies
- Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, vegan if desired
- ½ cup carrot puree
- ½ cup spinach puree
- ½ cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread or plant-based butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites or 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (for vegan)
- ¾ cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over a very low flame.
In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, brown sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in the egg whites (or, if you’re making these brownies vegan, stir together the ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons water. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until thickened, then stir into the batter). Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan. Grab the ends of the parchment and lift the brownies onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 bars.
This recipe was printed from: