Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan
- 1 cup whole-wheat, white or panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (or for vegan, nutritional yeast)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup broccoli, spinach, or pea puree
- 1 large egg, beaten (or for vegan, 3 tablespoons aquafaba)
- 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
In a bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, Parmesan (or for vegan, nutritional yeast), and paprika. To another bowl, add the flour.
In a shallow bowl, mix the broccoli puree and egg (or aquafaba) with a fork.
Slice the tofu 1⁄2-inch cubes and sprinkle with salt. Toss the tofu pieces in the flour. Then add to the broccoli puree, turning to coat. Lastly, roll them in the breadcrumbs until the tofu is completely coated.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/8 inch of oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu in a single layer without over crowding. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown. Then turn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Serve.
This recipe was printed from: