Stewed Winter Fruit
Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 20 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 navel oranges)
- 3 slices dried mango, cut into small pieces
- 2 pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 Asian or Bosc pears
- ½ pomegranate
- Steel cut oatmeal (gluten-free), for serving
In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice, mango, dates, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon stick over medium heat. Simmer until the fruit has softened, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the pears in half and scoop out the cores. Cut the pears into small pieces. Cut the ½ pomegranate in half again. Remove the seeds. Stir the pears and pomegranate seeds into the stewed fruit and simmer until just softened, about 2 minutes. Serve over oatmeal. Ice cream would be delicious, too.
This recipe was printed from: