Coconut Lentil and Vegetable Stew
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves 4 to 6 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- For the stew
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15-ounce can diced or cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups water, plus more if necessary
- 1 cup red, yellow, or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- For the lime yogurt
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch kosher salt
- Cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, for serving
To make the stew, chop the onion and garlic. Grate the ginger. Place the cumin, coriander turmeric, cayenne, tomatoes, and coconut milk near the stove.
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often, until very tender and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes until very fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
Put the lentils in a fine mesh strainer and rinse. Cut the eggplant into ½-inch pieces. Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½-inch pieces. Add the lentils, eggplant, and sweet potato to the pot. Stir to combine. Cover partially with a lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. You may want to add a little more water if the stew is too thick.
For the cumin yogurt, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lime juice, water, cumin, and salt and stir together. Serve the stew topped with a spoonful of the lime yogurt, cilantro sprigs, and squeeze of lime.
This recipe was printed from: