Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes | Serves 6 to 8 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 medium carrots, cut into small pieces
- 4 ribs celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ of a small green cabbage, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Parmesan for serving
Chop the onion. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
While the onion cooks, cut the carrots and celery into small pieces. Add to the pot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Finely chop the garlic. Add to the pot and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add the tomatoes and 5 cups of water. Break the tomatoes up with your spoon. Let come to a boil.
Shred the cabbage (you should get about 6 cups). Chop the rosemary. Add the cabbage, rosemary, beans, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt to the pot. Partially cover with a lid, reduce the heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Add a little more water if the soup needs more broth.
Serve topped with grated Parmesan.
This recipe was printed from: