Watermelon & Tomato Salad with Toasted Almonds
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Serves Serves 4 | Vegan | Gluten Free
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 of a small seedless watermelon
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 of a red onion, sliced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 12 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place a small skillet on the stove and add the almonds. Turn the heat to medium. Stir or shake the almonds often (so they cook evenly) until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Cut the watermelon into small bite-size pieces (you should get about 6 cups) and place on a platter or large plate.
Peel the cucumber. Cut it in half crosswise then cut both halves lengthwise. Slice into half moons and scatter over the watermelon.
Cut your onion into quarters and peel. Thinly slice 1/4 of the onion- save the rest for another use.
Cut the tomatoes in half and scatter them and the sliced onion over the salad.
Top with the toasted almonds and basil. Drizzle with the oil and vinegar (you can measure or just eyeball it here). Sprinkle with the salt and pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill).
This recipe was printed from: