Sticky Date Pudding Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 9
- For the cake:
- Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup pitted dates, such as Medjool
- ¼ cup candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- For the butterscotch sauce:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
For the cake, heat the oven (with the oven racks in the middle) to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray then line with parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides.
Put the dates, candied ginger, and baking soda in a food processor. Pour in the boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, salt.
Puree the date mixture until smooth. Add the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar and puree until smooth. Add the eggs and puree again. Add the flour mixture and pulse a few times until just combined.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 32 minutes. Let cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes. Grab the edges of the parchment and lift the cake out and continue to cool.
Serve with warm butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream.
For the butterscotch sauce, combine the cream brown sugar, butter, bourbon, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter melts, whisk together until smooth. Let cook a few minutes, whisking often, until the brown sugar is melted and the sauce is smooth.
This recipe was printed from: