Macaroni and Cheese (with Butternut Squash)
Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 4 sides
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup nonfat (skim) milk, plus more if necesarry
- ½ cup butternut squash or cauliflower puree
- 1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces (½ cup) reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain in a colander.
While the macaroni is cooking, in a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, Cheddar, cream cheese, and salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. If the sauce is too thick, stir in a little more milk. Stir in the macaroni and serve hot.
This recipe was printed from: