Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Chickpeas)
Active Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Serves 2 dozen cookies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon or on medium speed until smooth. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla, then the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt, and mix on low speed until a thick dough forms.
Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Press gently with a fork to flatten. Bake until the cookies are golden brown and just set, 11 to 13 minutes; do not overbake. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This recipe was printed from: