Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 6 to 8
- For the blue cheese dipping sauce:
- 4 ounces blue cheese, such as Danish (1 cup crumbled)
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk, plus more if necessary
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ to 1¾ cups cold seltzer or sparkling water
- 12-ounce jar Buffalo wing sauce
- Grapeseed or canola oil, for frying
- Celery sticks, for serving
For the dipping sauce, in a medium bowl, crumble the blue cheese. Add the sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, and pepper. Whisk together but leave some blue cheese crumbles in tact. If it’s too thick, add a little more buttermilk. Refrigerate until ready to use.
For the cauliflower, cut or break the cauliflower into small florets.
In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in 1½ cups of the seltzer until smooth. It should have the thickness of pancake batter. If it’s too thick, add more a little more seltzer.
In a large skillet, heat the Buffalo sauce over low heat. Line a large plate with paper towels.
In a medium saucepan, pour in about ¾ inch of oil (about 3 cups). Turn the heat on to medium and let it get hot. You can test the heat with a drop of the batter – it should sizzle immediately.
You’re going to fry the cauliflower in batches. Put a large handful of the florets into the batter and, using tongs, toss to coat. One at a time, use tongs to carefully lower each floret into the oil without overcrowding. Fry the cauliflower, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Using tongs, lift out each floret onto the paper towel lined-plate. For the ultimate crispiness, quickly toss the fried cauliflower in the Buffalo sauce and serve immediately. Then keep cooking the cauliflower in batches.
Serve the Buffalo cauliflower with the blue cheese dipping sauce and celery sticks.
This recipe was printed from: