Apple, Almond Tart
Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Serves 6 | Gluten Free
- 6½ tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1¼ cups almond meal/flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar, plus more for the apples
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 apple, such as Golden Delicious
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Heat the oven (with the oven rack in the middle) to 350°F. Butter a 4 x 13-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
In a food processor, pulse together the almond meal, sugar, and salt. Add 6 tablespoons of the butter and pulse several times until crumbly. Pulse in the eggs one at a time along with the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Cut the apple in half and scoop out the core (a melon baller works well). Thinly slice the apple. For each half, fan out the slices and use a chef’s knife to scoop them up and lay on top of the batter.
Melt the remaining ½ tablespoon butter and brush over the apples. Sprinkle the apples with some sugar. Bake until golden brown and crisp around the edges, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire cooling rack and unmold. Dust with confectioners sugar before serving.
This recipe was printed from: